Sunday, August 4, 2013

Oh, 13E5

Today, I found out that I made the rank of Staff Sergeant, which is E-5 in the United States Airforce.

I have no idea how I feel about this.  Am I happy that I've achieved the next rank in my Air Force career?  Am I excited by the pay raise in my future?  Do I really care at all?

Fuck, I don't know.

I don't know if I'm ready for the responsibility.  I don't know if I'm ready to be a role model.  I do not know if I'm ready to take the lives and careers of young Airmen into my hands, and mentor them to become good at their jobs, and in life.

Will I have the courage to do what is right, even if it's difficult?  Will I have the courage to say what is needed, when it is needed to be said?

I've known many non-commissioned officers in my military career, some good and some bad.  Most just mediocre.  I especially do not want to fall into the last category.

My main mantra in life is "Fuck mediocrity".  So with this new chapter in my life, I will be either the best fucking NCO in the United States Airforce, or I will crash and burn.  Either way, it's going to be one hell of a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment